Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees By-Laws
Article I – Name
This organization shall be called The Board of Trustees of the Clermont County Public Library existing by virtue of the provision of section 3375.22 of the ORC, and exercising the powers and authority and assuming the responsibilities delegated to it under the said statute. Governed by 3375.33-41 (ORC).
Article II – Officers
Section 1. The officers shall be a president, a vice president, and a secretary, elected from among the appointed trustees at the meeting of the Board held in January of each year.\
Section 2. A nominating committee shall be appointed by the president who will present a slate of officers at the annual meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor.
Section 3. Officers shall serve a term of one year from the annual meeting at which they are elected and until their successors are duly elected.
Section 4. The president shall preside at all meetings of the Board authorize calls for any special meetings, appoint all committees, execute all documents authorized by the Board, serve as an ex-officio voting member of all committees, and generally perform the duties and functions of the president.
Section 5. The vice president, in the event of the absence or disability of the president, or of a vacancy in that office, shall assume and perform the duties and functions of the president.
Section 6. The secretary shall keep a true and accurate record of all meetings, and shall perform such other duties as are generally associated with that office. The Board may appoint a non-member administrative staff member to aid in performing these duties.
Section 7. The Board shall indemnify its members to the extent allowable under the provision of the Ohio Revised Code as amended. The Board may also indemnify the director and the fiscal officer to the extent allowable under Ohio Law.
Section 8. No member of the Board of Trustees shall have any pecuniary interest in any contract entered into by the Board (ORC 3375.35).
Section 9. Members of the Board shall be qualified electors of the library district or county.
Article III – Meetings
Section1. The regular meetings shall be held each month, the day and hour to be set by the Board.
Section 2. The January meeting shall be considered the annual meeting, which shall be for the purpose of the election of officers. This meeting will also serve as the regular January meeting.
Section 3. The order of business for regular meetings shall include, but not be limited to, the following items which shall be covered so far as circumstances will permit.
- Roll call of members.
- Pledge of Allegiance.
- Disposition of minutes of previous regular meeting and any intervening special meeting.
- Financial report of the Library.
- Action bills.
- Progress and service report of Director.
- Committee reports.
- Unfinished business.
- New business.
Section 4. Public participation.
- The Board president may impose a reasonable limit on the number and length of presentations at any meeting.
- Any person wishing to address the Board shall register his/her name and address prior to the meeting with the secretary of the Board.
- Writing to the Clermont County Public Library, 326 Broadway St., Batavia, OH 45103.
- Calling the following telephone number during normal business hours of the administrative offices (8-4:30 Monday-Friday): (513) 732-2736.
- Consulting the bulletin board at any of the ten branches of the Clermont County Public Library.
- Checking the Clermont County Public Library’s website at www.clermontlibrary.org
- Sending written notice, which must be mailed no later than four calendar days prior to the day of the special meeting; or
- Notifying such representatives by telephone no later than 24 hours prior to the special meeting. Such telephone notice shall be complete if a message has been left for the representative; or
- Informing such representative personally no later than 24 hours prior to the special meeting; or
- Notifying such representatives by e-mail no later than 24 hours prior to the special meeting; or
- Post on the CCPL website the draft agenda.
Section 5. Special meetings may be called by the secretary at the direction of the president, or at the request of two members, for the transaction of business as stated in the call for the meeting.
Section 6. Exceptions to meetings are in compliance with, and under the authority of, section 121.22 (F), Ohio Revised Code, as amended, effective April 27, 2007.
1. Any person may determine the time and place of all regularly scheduled meetings and the time, place, and purpose of all special meetings by:
2. Any representative of the news media may obtain notice of all special meetings by requesting in writing that such notice be provided. Such notice will only be given, however, to one representative of any particular publication or radio or television station. A request for such notification shall be addressed to the Media Relations Specialist, Multimedia Resources Department 2548 US Route 50, PO Box 875, Owensville, OH 45160. The request shall provide the name of the individual media representative to be contacted, his/her mailing address and/or facsimile number, and a maximum of two telephone numbers, and an e-mail address where he/she can be reached. The Clermont County Public Library shall maintain a list of all representatives of the news media who have requested notice of special meetings pursuant to these sections.
In the event of a special meeting not of an emergency nature, the Media Relations Specialist shall notify all media representatives on the list of such meetings by doing one of the following:
In event of a special meeting of an emergency nature, the administrative assistant of the Board shall notify all media representatives on the list of such a meeting immediately by phone, in person, via facsimile and/or via e-mail.
3. The Clermont County Public Library shall maintain a list of all persons who have requested, in writing, to be notified of all Library Board of Trustees meetings at which specific subject matters requested by such persons will be discussed. The assistant secretary of the Board shall, no later than seven working days prior to each meeting, send by first class mail, facsimile, or email and agenda of the meeting to each such person.
Section 7. A quorum for the transaction of business at any meeting shall consist of four members of the Board present in person. However, the purchase of property requires of the approval of two-thirds (5 members) of the Board.
Section 8. Conduct of meetings: Proceedings of all meetings shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order.
Article IV –Fiscal Officer of the Board
The Fiscal Officer shall be appointed and his/her compensation fixed by the Board.
The laws of Ohio specify that the Fiscal Officer:
- Shall place all funds immediately in depositories designated by the Board.
- Shall keep an account of library funds.
- Shall render a statement to the Board monthly, showing revenues, receipts, disbursements, purpose for disbursements, assets and liabilities.
- At the end of each fiscal year submit to the Board a complete financial statement showing the receipts and expenditures in aggregate for the entire year.
Sections 3375.32-39 (ORC) fully describe the duties of the Fiscal Officer.
Article V – Library Director and Staff
The Board shall appoint a qualified library director who shall be the executive and administrative officer of the library on behalf of the Board and under its review and direction. The director shall recommend to the Board the appointment and specify the duties of other employees and shall be held responsible for the proper direction and supervision of the staff, for the care and maintenance of library service to the public and for its financial operation within the limitations of the budgeted appropriation. The director will submit an annual report to the Board of Trustees. In the case of part time or temporary employees, the director shall have interim authority to appoint without prior approval of the Board provided that any such appointment shall be reported to the Board at its next regular meeting.
Article VI – Committees
Section 1. The president shall appoint committees of one or more members each for such specific purposes as the business of the Board may require from time to time. The committee shall be considered to be discharged upon the completion of the purpose for which it was appointed and after the final report is made to the Board.
Section 2. All committees shall make a progress report to the library Board at each of its meetings.
Section 3. No committee will have other than advisory powers unless, by suitable action of the Board, it is granted specific power to act.
Article VII – General
Section 1. An affirmative vote of the majority of all members of the Board present at the time shall be necessary to approve any action before the Board. The president may vote upon and may move or second a proposal before the Board.
Section 2. The by-laws may be amended by the majority vote of all members of the Board provided written notice of the proposed amendment shall have been mailed to all members at least ten days prior to the meeting at which such action is proposed to be taken.
Section 3. Any rule or resolution of the Board, whether contained in these by-laws or otherwise; may be suspended temporarily in connection with business at hand, but such suspension, to be valid, may be taken only at a meeting at which a quorum of four of the members of the Board shall be present and two-thirds (3 members) of those present shall so approve.
Adopted by the Clermont County Public Library Board of Trustees
October 20, 2008