Posting, Displaying, Exhibiting and Distribution of NON-LIBRARY Materials Policy
The Library supports its mission and commitment to the community by providing access to information in many ways. The Library provides exhibit and/or bulletin board space to external non-profit organizations and individuals for the posting, display, exhibition and distribution of non-library materials. These additional opportunities enhance the user’s entertainment, information gathering, and learning experience and forge these services into an integral element of library services.
The ultimate responsibility for all exhibits, bulletin board displays, and distribution of information at all branches, under the Authority of the Library Board of Trustees, rests with the Executive Director. The Executive Director shall delegate the authority for all exhibit management to the Assistant Library Director. The Assistant Library Director oversees this responsibility through the individual branch managers and branch supervisors.
Exhibit and bulletin board space may not be used for commercial or for profit-making purposes. The Library does not engage in or permit the sale of any material displayed on any bulletin board or within any exhibit.
When exhibit or bulletin board space is not being used for Library purposes, or is not limited in space, external non-profit organizations and individuals may use the space providing the material to be posted, displayed, distributed, or exhibited adheres to the following criteria:
- Be consistent with the Library's mission and goals
- Not exceed facility capabilities
- Not exceed space constraints
- Meet the needs of the intended audience
- Meet the treatment of content for exhibition in a public space
- Have artistic quality
- Have relevance to community interests and issues
- Be of educational significance
- Have historical relevance
- Be relevant to Library collections, resources exhibits or programs
- Contain connections to other similar community resources and exhibits
- Items posted may remain on a public bulletin board for 7 to 30 days, depending on the timeliness of the event and the availability of space.
- When space is available, posters announcing on-going activities, services, or events may be permitted in a public distribution area longer.
- Non-profit fund raising events are permissible, if space allows.
- Users of the meeting rooms are permitted to post signs on library bulletin boards or distribute materials within the meeting rooms only during the meeting. Distribution or posting of signage or materials in the main area, sidewalk, marquees, or parking lot of the library is not permitted.
- When space is limited, preference may be given to local organizations and events.
NOTE: The Clermont County Public Library, Board of Trustees and staff do not endorse any belief or viewpoint of any publications, posted materials, displays, distributions, exhibitions, events, or materials, placed by individuals, groups, or organizations.
"The posting of such advertisements does not imply their endorsement by the Clermont County Public Library staff or Board of Trustees." This notice is posted on all bulletin boards in addition to "For permission to display material, please see the branch manager for further details."
The Library retains the final authority over the review, selection, content, and arrangement of all exhibits and bulletin boards at all branches. The Library further retains the right to reject any or all parts of any exhibit or bulletin board posting. The Library retains the right to deny exhibit space to any user whose planned use of the space does not comply with the terms of this policy.
Prior to posting information or displaying, exhibitors using the display cases or creating an exhibit are required to sign an agreement called a waiver of liability.
Exhibitors are responsible for their own insurance coverage. The Library assumes no insurance liability for materials on exhibit, unless legally required to do so.
Outside organizations, or individuals partnering with or being sponsored by the Library shall coordinate all marketing efforts through the MultiMedia Resources Department.
Individuals or organizations may file a request for reconsideration to the Executive Director.
Individuals may file complaints regarding this policy or its content with the Executive Director.
Approved by Board of Trustees August 11, 2008
Update Approved by Board of Trustees April 16, 2012