Amy Matheney from the New Richmond Branch has had several requests that she share her recipes from her Gifts in a Jar Program; here they are:
Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar
- 1 1/2 cups NESTLÉ CARNATION Nonfat Dry Milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Baking Cocoa
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows (optional)
Using a pint jar, combine dry milk, sugar, cocoa and marshmallows in large bowl. Pour into 2-quart jar or tall container. Seal with lid and decorate with fabric and ribbon.
Recipe to attach to attach: Measure 1/2 cup cocoa mix into mug. Stir in 1 cup hot water or milk. Makes 4 servings.
- 1/4 c. raisins
- 3/4 c. long grain rice
- 1 crumbled chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tbsps. dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
Use a 1/2 pint wide mouth jar. Pack each layer.
Mix the bouillon, onion and curry together and set aside. Dump the raisins in the jar, then the rice, and then the spice mixture.
Seal and decorate, and attach the recipe tag.
You will need:
2 1/2 c. water
Bring the water to a boil. Add the contents of the jar and stir. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serves 5-6. Make as a side dish for pork or chicken.
All-Purpose Rub for Meat
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoons mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried thyme
In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, pepper, oregano and thyme.
To use: coat meat in mixture, and then grill as desired.
Holiday Oat Cookie Mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour mixed with ½ tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup white baking pieces
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup red and green candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar
Layer in the following order: White baking pieces, oats, red and green candy pieces, brown sugar (pack), sugar, flour mixture.
Holiday Oat Cookie Mix
Empty the contents of the jar into a large bowl; stir until mixed. Add ½ cup butter, melted and cooled; 1 slightly beaten egg; and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir until combined. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 375oF oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes about 36 cookies.
Cream Cheese Mints
- 2 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 drops food coloring (green, red)
- 24 drops flavoring extract (mint, cherry, and butter or eggnog)
In a bowl, use your hands to blend the powdered sugar and the cream cheese until completely mixed. Work the flavoring through the dough. Knead in the food coloring. Place the dough between two pieces of wax paper and roll it with the rolling pin until it is about ½” thick. Cut dough with cookie cutters.
Refrigerate in an airtight container, with wax paper in between layers, for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 2 dozen mints.