Preheat oven to 375
4 Cups flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 ½ Teaspoon salt
1 ½ Cup shortening, or lard ( can use a combination of both, not to exceed 1 1/2 cups total)
1 egg beaten
1 Tablespoon of white vinegar
½ cup of water (add a little more if necessary, to make a soft dough)
Directions: combine dry ingredients, cut in shortening or lard .Mix egg, water and vinegar and add to dry ingredients; knead to make soft dough ball. (I mix and knead dough in a large mixer using the knead hook attachment). Divide dough into four equal parts and form disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use. (Freeze if you are not going to use within 4 days).
Apple Pie Filling
7 cups of pared, diced and pared apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 Teaspoons cinnamon
1 Cup of sugar
½ Cup of brown sugar
½ Teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons of butter
4 Tablespoon flour
4 Tablespoons milk
- Roll out the separated dough discs to fit into two pie plates.
- Mix dry ingredient, then add apples and lemon juice, let stand for 15 minutes.
- Stir and divide, placing apple mixture into two pie crusts.
- Dab each filling with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 Tablespoons milk
- Add top crusts and cut in several vents
- Cover pies with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake for additional 15 minutes.