Because the weather has felt like spring for a week and snow is in the forecast for the weekend, I am thinking about my favorite comfort food homemade macaroni and cheese. There is something about the ooey gooeyness of the cheese on top of mounds of pasta that makes this the perfect side dish to any meal, or could even be a meal in itself. This Paula Deen macaroni and cheese recipe is not only a favorite with the adults in my family but, the kids love it as well.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn’t quite 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.