Yahoo, Mountain Dew! Bring these delicious apple dumplings to your next get together and everyone will want the recipe. The texture of the rolls becomes something entirely different during the baking process: the top gets delightfully crisp, while the underneath side remains soft and mushy and more “apple dumpling-y”. And the Mountain Dew, coupled with the large amount of butter, creates a yummy, sweet sauce at the end. Serve them with ice cream, or a dollop of sweetened whipped heavy cream and you’ll be left wondering how such ordinary ingredients can be so sublime
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cups white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew ™
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cut two apples into 8 wedges and set aside. Separate the crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in the baking dish.
- Slice and add the remaining two apples and place between the apple dumplings.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in the sugar and cinnamon, add vanilla. Pour over the apple dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.