I recently had some patrons come into the library in search of product reviews. The first choice of review literature is of course the Consumer Reports Buying Guide. When that does not work I then turn to the Masterfile Premier. The database has “full text from nearly 1700 periodicals” on a wide range of topics as well as over 500 reference books and primary source documents, photos, maps and flags. Simply put, it is a great resource for magazine articles.
From the Masterfile Premier you will find PDF’s of Consumer Reports’ current issue back to January 1985 (and Buying Guide back to 1999).
How do you find this great database?
- Go to the Clermont County Public Library webpage. You may access this database from home and will be asked to put in your library card number.
- Underneath the library logo click on “Research&Homework” which will take you to Databases: Electronic Resources.
- Search for Masterfile Premier either alphabetically by clicking on the letter ‘M’ or by scrolling down the alphabetical list.
- Click on MasterFile Premier, which will take you to a search page.
- Enter your search terms
- Limit your results to full text and the publication name
- Click on search and your results will be listed.
- When you click on a title you will be taken to the full article. You may email it to yourself, print it out, read it online or make note of the date and issue and check your library for a hard copy of the magazine.