Due to the overwhelming response to our writing contest, we’re giving our judges some extra time. We want to be sure they have time to carefully read and consider all of the submissions. So we’ll be announcing the winner for both the adult and teen contests on June 11.
Thanks for your patience!
Congratulations to Merrillyn of the Milford-Miami Twp. Branch! Dave, our executive director, chose her entry from the enormous pile of “Read a Book, Win a Nook” entries.
Thank you to everyone who participated!
This is your chance to share your story – a memoir, or the story of a family member. Write a non-fiction essay describing a personal experience. You’ve got 1,500 words or less, so make them count!
Stories may be submitted in a branch or here by April 30.
The first prize is a Kobo ereader. Runners up will receive bag of CCPL goodies and a journal.
Your stories become the property of the Clermont County Public Library and will not be returned after the judging.
Need some help or inspiration?
* Books about authorship
* Creative writing
* Short story writing
* Our Williamsburg Branch has a weekly writing group.
We’re having a contest from March 1 through April 16. For every book you read, you’ll have a chance to win a Nook! Simply comment below with the title and author of each book you read. A winner will be drawn on April 20.
It couldn’t be any easier so start reading! Or listening. Because audio books count as well.
Need some suggestions? Take a look at our staff’s favorite books of 2010.
Identify which novel these romantic pairs are from and win a prize.
Leave a comment listing all five titles and you’ll be entered into a drawing for yummy candy bouquet.
1. Heathcliff and Catherine
2. Claire Randall and Jamie Frasier
3. Edward and Bella
4. Wesley and Princess Buttercup
5. Meggie and Father Ralph
Identify what song these romantic lyrics come from and win a scrumptious candy bouquet!
Leave a comment with all five song titles.
A winner will be drawn from random.
1. We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady that’s walking around with me.
And then she asks me, “Do you feel all right?”
And I say, “Yes, I feel wonderful tonight.”
2. When a man loves a woman
Can’t keep his mind on nothing else
He’ll trade the world
For the good thing he’s found
3. However far away I will always love you
However long I stay I will always love you
Whatever words I say I will always love you
I will always love you
4. And I hope life, will treat you kind
And I hope that you have all
That you ever dreamed of
Oh, I do wish you joy
And I wish you happiness
But above all this
I wish you love
5. Love, I get so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I drive off in my car
but whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are
Match up the couples and win a yummy candy bouquet!
Comment below with the couples properly coupled up like 1 – B.
A winner will be drawn at random.
|2. Joe Fox
||B. Bridget Jones
||C. Kathleen Kelly
|4. Mark Darcy
Identify these quotes from great romances. Leave a comment listing the five titles of the book/play/movie that the quotes come from and you’ll be entered to win a delicious candy bouquet. Winner will be randomly drawn.
1. No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how.
2. What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.
3. Reader, I married him.
4. And what is a kiss, specifically? A pledge properly sealed, a promise seasoned to taste, a vow stamped with the immediacy of a lip, a rosy circle drawn around the verb ‘to love.’ A kiss is a message too intimate for the ear, infinity captured in the bee’s brief visit to a flower, secular communication with an aftertaste of heaven, the pulse rising from the heart to utter its name on a lover’s lip: ‘Forever.’
5. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Tell us why your library card is important to you; give us just one reason and you’ll be entered into a drawing for a Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet by Improv Electronics.
You’ve got until September 30 to share your story, here in the comments. The winner will be announced on October 4.
Photos of the lucky winner may be chosen to be used in upcoming promotional posters! So strike a pose and smile when claiming your prize!