November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) during which participants challenge themselves to write an entire novel by the end of the month.
If you’re taking up the writing challenge, we have programs to help!
- Children’s Book Night on Nov. 1 at 5:30p.m. at the Union Township Branch. Panels of authors and illustrators will discuss their craft. Free and open to the public. Call 528-1744 for details.
- Peter Leonard visits the Williamsburg Branch on Nov. 7 at 7:00p.m. where he’ll talk about writing. Call 724-1070 for more information.
- Local author JS Bailey will be at the Union Township Branch on Nov. 26 at 6:30p.m. to discuss writing and the route to publication. For more details, call 528-1744.
- The River City Writers’ Group meets the first and third Monday of every month at 6:00p.m. at the New Richmond Branch. Call 553-0570 for more information.
- The Tween Literature Club meets the first Tuesday of each month at the New Richmond Branch at 7:00p.m. Each meeting includes time for creative writing exercises. Call 553-0570 for more details.
- The Creative Writing Group meets every Thursday at 10:30a.m. at the Williamsburg Branch. Each week there are new writing prompts and other writing exercises to get your creativity flowing. Call 724-1070 for more information.
It happened during a conversation with a library patron. We were talking about her love of writing, and some of the things she has written about, when she said “I wonder if a writers’ group would do well in New Richmond?” Her question got us brainstorming to find a way to try it.
At the time, Clermont County Public Library already had one very successful writers’ group, at the Williamsburg Branch Library. We visited them, to see just what went on in a writers’ group, anyway. On April 18, 2011, we had our inaugural meeting of the River City Writers’ Group. I’m pleased to say that they’ve been meeting on the 1st and 3rd Monday’s of each month, for the past year. They have shared short stories, memoirs, novels, writing prompts, and poetry. For the past few months, poetry has been the focus, and several even participated in a Brown County Poetry Reading.
Writing groups have become so successful that five Clermont County Public Library branches now offer creative writing groups. Check our calendar to find a writing group near you.
Williamsburg Creative Writing Group
Prompts for the week of February 9th 2012
We will call this week’s prompt, create a scene. We will all be writing from one prompt. I want you to take us there, let us see it, smell it or even taste it. Remember to create the scene for us. This can be a real experience or a totally fictitious one. You be the creator.
One evening at the mall…
Create a short story using these five words:
Benefit, cistern, essence, curdle, fox