The movie debuts on Feb. 14 (how perfect). If you haven’t read it yet, what are you waiting for?? If you’re a fan of paranormal romances/urban fantasy, I think you’ll enjoy Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia. In a small South Carolina town, where it seems little has changed since the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Ethan is powerfully drawn to Lena, a new classmate with whom he shares a psychic connection and whose family hides a dark secret that may be revealed on her sixteenth birthday.
The story’s also been adapted as manga. And there’s the soundtrack from the movie available now.
If you’re a fan of the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, rejoice! She’s starting a new series set in the same world, a few decades before Alexa’s adventures.
Etiquette & Espionage is set in an alternate England of 1851, spirited fourteen-year-old Sophronia is enrolled in a finishing school where, she is suprised to learn, lessons include not only the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also diversion, deceit, and espionage.
Any book worth writing is worth a trilogy, right? Sometimes it seems like that, especially when it comes to YA fantasy and science fiction. Sometimes it feels like you can’t pick up a book without finding a cliffhanger ending or a big bold “TO BE CONTINUED” on the very last page.
Hate to wait? We can help! Here are a few trilogies that are already complete. No waiting required–unless there’s a hold list!
Have you seen the trailer for Breaking Dawn: Part 1? If you just can’t wait for November, here are a few other vampire stories to help you pass the time.
- Blue Bloods—Melissa de la Cruz. Some people have everything—money, status, fancy NYC digs…and a vampire bloodline? This is what would happen if Twilight met Gossip Girl and had a sparkling, scandalous child.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Before Edward, there was Angel. A brooding, tormented vampire in love with a high school girl. But Sunnydale, California is no Forks—it’s built over a hellmouth, which means all sorts of evil beasties are drawn to the town. Fortunately, Sunnydale is the home of Buffy, the one and only Slayer.
- The House of Night series–P. C. Cast. This series, starting with Marked, takes place in a prep school for vampires. When Zoey finds out that a friend is abusing her powers, what can she do to stop her?
- iDrakula–Bekka Black. Jonathan Harker has a rare blood disease, and it’s up to him, along with his girlfriend Mina and a medical student called Van Helsing, to figure out what it is. Sound familiar? It should–it’s an update of the classic vampire novel, Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
- The Vampire Diaries–L. J. Smith. Two vampire brothers fall in love with high-school senior Elena. How far will they go to be the one she chooses? (Also a TV series.)
- Vampire Kisses–Ellen Schreiber. Raven is as Goth as Goth can be, and she longs to be turned into a vampire. Can the mysterious new boy give her what she’s after? If you’ve already read the books, try the manga series, too.
Fan of Carrie Jones’s series about pixies? Get a sneak peek of her latest book, Entice.