Celebrate reading with your child Oct. 2.
The Big Read 2018 is Oct. 2 and was created by the 1000 Books Foundation to encourage parents and caregivers to read one book to their child that day. The goal is to promote the importance of reading to children.
Take a photo as you read to your child and post it to social media with #atclermontlibrary
If you are not enrolled in the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program at the Clermont County Public Library, stop by any branch and sign up. It’s free and it’s a great way to help your child be ready to learn how to read when starting kindergarten.
Enjoy your reading time!
- Understanding the sounds letters make
- Developing a bigger vocabulary
- Building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Clermont County Public Library’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child who has not yet started kindergarten can participate.
Just follow these easy steps:
- Register: Sign up at any of our 10 branches or online. Pick up your starter kit at the library.
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle on the log sheet for each book you read with your child or log the book online.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, count it each time. Count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your log sheet to the library to receive a sticker and a special reward. Take home a new log sheet for your next 100 books.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library and receive a free book.
- Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their literacy skills.
- Visit the library for free, fun and educational events for your little one.
- Check our Event Calendar for upcoming storytimes and events.
- Sign up for newsletters to have book recommendations and library events delivered to your inbox.
How Can I Read 1,000 Books?
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Ask our friendly staff for suggestions—we’re here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!