Enjoy A Pumpkin Spice Read for Fall
I picked up a copy of The Bakeshop at Pumpkin and Spice by Donna Kauffmann, Kate Angell and Allyson Charles because I was in the mood to read something quick and light. And like a delicious pumpkin spice latte, this book filled my need for something sweet and frothy. It’s the perfect book for a cozy read on a fall day.
The book’s made up of three short stories that share the setting of the small town of Moonbright, Maine where Halloween is a major event. Where the scents of donuts and cider waft through the crisp night air with just a hint of magic.
You get small town charm, wrapped up in costumes, sweet treats, and decorations as the locals get ready for their annual Halloween parade.
The opening story features Bellaluna’s Bakeshop, a family business steeped in traditional recipes and some very special heart-melting treats. The special cookies work their magic for Moonbright couples in all three stories.
Enjoy this recipe from the book as just a small taste of the treat that awaits!
Annie’s Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and lard.
- Add milk, eggs, anise oil, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, until the dough is stiff.
- Roll out and cut into your favorite shapes.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Stir in food coloring if desired.