Get Ready for Kindergarten Month
Updated from an August 2015 post.
August is back to school time for kids and their parents. Kindergarteners are a special group since they’re making that trip for the first time. We’re sharing ideas and resources to help your kids get ready for kindergarten.
According to the Ohio Department of Education, “children need to be physically, socially and emotionally ready for school.”
Help your kids’ motor skills develop by:
- Coloring and drawing
- Playing with blocks and LEGO bricks
- Putting together puzzles with interlocking puzzle pieces
Encourage the growth of their social skills by:
- Attending a playdate so they can interact with other kids
- Playing board games so they learn to take turns
- Putting toys away after playtime teaches responsibility
Ready to Read
Reading is a critical skill so it’s important to help kids get ready to read.
- Read at least 20 minutes a day to your child.
- Join the national 1000 Books before Kindergarten program.
Libraries are more than books on shelves. We want to offer you and your kids tools to succeed! Explore the resources for parents at all our locations and online.
- Chance to meet new friends
Our storytimes also explore the five “Ready to Read” practices:
Doing the Ready to Read practices with your kids gives them a solid foundation for learning to read.
Check out one of our Ready to Read Kits. Each kit has a theme such as bath time. Take it home and explore it with your kids. Using the items in the kit, you can use the Ready to Read practices at home. Each kit has:
- 5 books
- A music CD
- A toy
- A sheet of rhymes
We have digital and downloadable items for busy families on the go.
- Download eBooks or eaudiobooks with Libby, a free app. Share books from your smartphone or tablet with your kids. Listen to audiobooks together when you’re in the car.
- TumbleBooks Library lets kids explore interactive picture books on a smartphone or tablet.
- Blocks and LEGO bricks
- Computers with educational software
- And books!
Written with Kim Smithers.