The seventh-annual Clermont County Librari*Con will celebrate geek and fandom culture! Admission is free and activities are geared toward teens and adults. Bring your friends, dress up and embrace your fandom. We’ll have food, crafts, games and more fun for everyone.
Librari*Con is Saturday, November 2, 2019, 6 – 9 p.m., Union Township Branch Library.
Meet local comic creators!
Jay B. Kalagayan (MeSseD creator, writer and publisher) has been an annoyingly consistent entrepreneur and arts advocate in Cincinnati for more than twenty years. A Xavier University graduate from Erie, PA, Jay is founder of Know Theatre of Cincinnati and a co-founder of the Cincinnati Fringe Festival. He is a writer of plays, cartoon strips, reviews, articles, marketing collateral, fundraising appeals, and geeky event calendars. His major influences are his wife Jan and daughters Meggie and Fi.
MeSseD is the nickname of the Metropolitan Sewer District and features sewer worker Lilliput. She is our tour guide to the weird, wild and wet world beneath our feet.
Creating a comic book like MeSseD has been a lifelong dream. With two seasons published, featuring artwork from friend and collaborator Dylan Speeg, Jay tours the country promoting MeSseD. He just finished his People’s Liberty project, the MeSseD Tunnel Tour, an immersive comic book experience taking place three stories underground.
Dylan Speeg (MeSseD illustrator) was born in Cincinnati in 1971 in which he has lived his entire life. He attended The Art Academy of Cincinnati in the early 90s and has worked as a portrait painter and illustrator ever since. He is also a musician in the band Heavy Hinges. His major influences are lurid pulp novel covers and Robert Williams, R. Crumb and other comic book artists. His spray paint stenciled illustrations for The CityBeat “Best Of Cincinnati” issue received the Best Illustrated Series Award from the Cleveland Press Club. He likes to use his home town Cincinnati and the people he knows as subject matter. He works nights as a bartender and performs standup comedy on occasion.
Tim Fuller began self-publishing his cartoons in Hooha Comics in 1978. He contributed the series “The Blue Beagle,” to Fantagraphics’ Critters and “Cap’n Catnip” to Charlton Bullseye. Tim created countless strips and cartoons for various fanzines, mini comics and magazines, including The Comic Buyers Guide and Starlog.
In 2006, after a self-imposed exile from making comics, Tim began actively creating and publishing his cartoons again. Tim’s ongoing projects include “The New Adventures of Cap’n Catnip” with Craig Boldman and Daryll Collins, and SHAM Comics, his rewritten golden age stories for Source Point Press.
Kat Klockow is a coffee-fueled indie comic creator located in Cincinnati, Ohio. She’s been creating comics her entire life, with her current projects being the light-horror series Spiritus Maximus, the fantasy series Witches & Sorcerers, and the sci-fi minicomic series Zombio: A Space Adventure. You can follow her work @REDCATcomics on social media.
Bob Frantz has written hundreds and hundreds of comics, only two of which you may have heard of: Metalshark Bro (Scout Comics) and Monty the Dinosaur (Action Lab). Bob and his family reside in Cincinnati.
- Cosplay groups 501st regiment (Star Wars cosplayers) and Airship Ashanti are attending in costume.
- Cosplay Contest: Show off your skills and pay homage to your favorite characters in our Cosplay Contest! The contest is open to all ages, and prizes will be awarded to Groups (2 or more cosplayers representing the same fandom), Youth (0-11), Teen (12-17), and Adult (18+) cosplayers. More info >>>
- Mini-escape room: Hammer and Rodgerstein the world-famous playwrights have been kidnapped! The culprit is a character from a recent musical who wants a sequel. The playwrights were given an hour to write the next hit musical but unfortunately, there is only have a quarter of that hour left! Luckily Hammer and Rodgerstein were able to leave us clues so that we can figure out the identity of their kidnapper and where they were taken in order to save them before the night ends in tragedy. Sign up at the event for this escape room challenge. Space is limited.
- Mind Flayer Hunt: Join the hunt to slay the Mind Flayer and save Hawkins from the Upside Down! Our Stranger Things-themed activity lets you use your best wrist-rocket skills to launch “weapons” at the Mind Flayer to try and bring it down. Try this activity as many times as you want. Each time you play, you’ll get a ticket to enter for the prize drawing. At the end of the night, one name will be randomly chosen to win a Stranger Things-themed prize!
- Classic Arcade Gaming: All the fun of the arcade, without quarters! We’ll have multiple classic arcade game stations to enjoy, from Pac Man to Galaga to Tetris, and more. Challenge your friends to beat your high score!
- Tabletop Gaming: Todd Bunn of Gateway Games and More will guide players through an adventure with Pathfinder 2nd Edition, the newest Tabletop RPG to hit the streets. Immerse yourself in a fantastical world and test your skills in this one-shot adventure from an expert Game Master!
- Play our Pokémon themed scavenger hunt and receive an exclusive Pokémon/LibrariCon button when you finish.
- Make a personalized button with our button makers.
- Make a personalized Mod Podge fandom bracelet.
The Children’s Area will host activities for our younger attendees, with a giant flannel board for geeky, film-based flannel stories featuring popular characters from Pokémon, Frozen II, Toy Story 4, and more.
Additionally, in the Children’s Area, attendees will be able to create colorful, Hamilton-esque silhouette art of a favorite fandom character!